- BA 1986, English & American Literature & Language, Harvard College
- T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond, Graduated First in Class
Awards & Recognition
- A/V (Preeminent) Rated By Martindale Hubbell
- Licensed in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida
- Multimillion dollar awards in several states
- Graduated first in his law school class
- Former Adjunct Professor of Law University of Richmond T.C. Williams School of Law
In the Community
- Brother Rutter Named to Inside Business “Power List 2016” (Inside Business)
- Rutters and Fraim Honored by Downtown Norfolk Council (Virginian-Pilot)
- Epicenter of the Arts District: Attorney, Philanthropist, and Collector Brother Rutter Talks Art (VEER Magazine)
- Distinction Magazine Features Brother Rutter (Distinction Magazine)
Brother Rutter is one of the managing partners at Rutter Mills. He is a graduate of Harvard College, and University of Richmond’s T.C. Williams Law School, where he graduated first in his class. Brother is a high-level litigator with decades of legal experience, specializing in large and complicated auto accident and maritime cases. He has won multiple multi-million dollar verdicts in several states in high-profile personal injury cases, including the at-the-time largest Wrongful Death Verdict in the history of Virginia, and was recently lead counsel for a $3.75 M seaman’s injury settlement case. As a managing partner, Brother is a mentor to our attorneys, and is a valuable resource for all Rutter Mills clients. Avocationally, he is extremely active in philanthropic and non-profit organizations, especially those benefitting education and the arts. He and his wife Meredith recently founded The Rutter Family Art Foundation, which supports local and regional artists with exhibitions, events, and gallery space, in a 1917 historic building that is a mainstay of Norfolk’s new arts district.
People don’t come to me on a winning streak; I am an injury lawyer. And because they may be facing the hardest time of their lives, I’m in a position to make a real difference for my clients. I take that responsibility seriously, and I welcome the challenge ahead. I believe in making things better. And I like to win.