After suffering an injury in a car accident, the steps you take in the aftermath can have a tremendous impact on the rest of your life. By failing to address your injuries or protect your legal rights properly, you could endanger your health as well as your claim for monetary compensation. The Virginia Beach area can be well populated and a car accident can occur at any time, these are some tips to follow after an accident.
If you have suffered injuries in a crash, your best chance of protecting your legal rights is by contacting our team of car accident lawyers of Virginia Beach immediately. In the meantime, there are other steps you can take to protect your interests. By following these dos and don’ts, you can ensure you do not put your health or legal rights at risk.
Following a car accident in Virginia Beach, you should:
- Call the police. If anyone appears injured in the crash or the vehicle damage is significant, you should dial 911 immediately. In fact, it is required under law to notify the police following an injury. The police can document the crash scene and provide a police report that could be useful to your Virginia Beach car accident attorney.
- Seek medical treatment. You should never assume your injuries are minor after a crash. In many cases, they become far more severe, hours, or even days later. Seeking medical treatment can ensure your injuries are addressed. This also provides documentation for your injury claim.
- Document the scene. If you are physically able to do so, investigating the scene of your accident is important. This includes taking photos, identifying independent witnesses, and making notes on the weather and road conditions.
Following a car accident in Virginia Beach, you should not:
- Leave the scene. Never leave the scene of an accident before the police arrive. If you do, you could find yourself in violation of the law. What’s more, it could hamper your injury claim. The only exception is– if you need emergency medical treatment.
- Discuss the accident with the other driver. You need to speak with the other driver to exchange insurance information. However, that should be the end of your conversation. Anything you say beyond this– could be used against you or taken out of context.
- Sign paperwork. Never sign anything at the scene of the crash. This is especially true if it is provided by the other driver. You could unknowingly sign away your legal rights.
Contact us at Rutter Mills
After you have ensured your injuries are addressed, the most important step to take after a crash is to contact a car accident lawyers in Virginia Beach. At Rutter Mills, we know how to investigate a vehicle collision and hold the responsible driver accountable for their negligence.
We have extensive experience pursuing injury claims, and we look forward to discussing your circumstances. To schedule a free consultation, contact us today.