According to the National Traffic Safety Administration, most motorcycle accidents allow the driver less than two seconds to avoid an accident. Motorcyclists are one of the most vulnerable drivers on the road. In Virginia, the 5 most common causes of motorcycle crashes are:
- • Failure to correctly turn on country roads. Country roads require skill and knowledge; they can sometimes bend sharper than expected. Use trees or telephone lines as a reference when approaching a sharp bend.
- • Collisions at intersections. Intersections are the most common location for motorcycle-related accidents. The other vehicle may violate the motorcycle right-of-way, or may have completely failed to notice the motorcycle.
- • Collisions while overtaking slower vehicles. Familiarize yourself with the bike’s acceleration and braking prior to passing slower traffic on a two-lane road. Each bike handles differently, and it is your responsibility to control the bike properly. Ride the bike cautiously until you are comfortable with how it handles.
- • Rider’s loss of control. Always make sure there is proper space between yourself and another vehicle.
- • Poor road conditions. Weather conditions, as well as physical road conditions like manholes, can make riding challenging. Be mindful of poor road conditions. Also maintain your bike – checking tire pressure and condition.
Motorcycle accidents are not always avoidable, but there are precautions you can take to reduce the risk of collision. If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle accident due to a reckless driver, please contact the skilled motorcycle accident attorneys at Rutter Mills. We have been helping injured motorcyclists for over 50 years, and we are here to help you get the justice you deserve for your injuries. Call today for a free consultation.