With Memorial Day Weekend just a few days ahead, the Virginia State Police are out in full force looking for drivers who aren’t buckling up. While estimates say that 80% of Virginia drivers are currently buckling up, the Virginia State Police’s annual “Click it or Ticket” campaign is designed to increase this percentage. While receiving a ticket for failure to wear a seatbelt is certainly inconvenient, it is very important to remember how important the use of a safety belt is. Below are a few statistics about the importance of a seatbelt.
– 80% of all death to children in an auto accident could be prevented by properly securing seatbelts.
– As many as 17,000 lives could be saved each year by simply buckling up.
– For accident survivors, average medical costs are 50% higher for those not wearing a seatbelt.
– Almost 60% of passengers killed in auto accidents are not wearing seatbelts
– 73% of passengers that are ejected from a vehicle in an accident are killed. Only 1% of passengers wearing a seatbelt are ejected from a vehicle in a car crash.
While wearing a seatbelt is an easy thing that we all can do, it can’t prevent all accident related injuries. If you or someone you know has been injured in an auto accident, be sure to contact the Car Accident Lawyers at Rutter Mills today.