Personal injury law firm Rutter Mills wholeheartedly supports this year’s “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign in Virginia, which runs from August 19th through September 7th, 2020. The campaign coincides with Labor Day weekend, when DUI arrests and deaths traditionally spike. We can expect increased public safety campaign visibility on social media sites and ramped-up enforcement efforts — including police presence and safety checkpoints.
Virginia Drunk Driving Statistics
Virginia ranks toward the bottom of the pack nationwide at 37th, but the numbers are still staggering:
- In 2018, there were 253.4 DUI arrests per 100,000 people in Virginia.
- DUI arrests peaked in 2009, with 369.2 arrests per 100,000 people.
- From 2009-2018, the number of DUI arrests has decreased by roughly a third.
- The total number of DUI arrests in Virginia was last tallied at 19,790.
- However, there was a 12% increase in alcohol-related traffic deaths in 2018 as well.
- 278 people died and 4,500 people were injured in alcohol-related crashes in Virginia for 2018.
- Labor Day weekend sees anywhere from five to 14 DUI traffic deaths in Virginia.
- A survey revealed 49% of Virginia men ages 21-35 admitted to DUI or riding with an impaired driver.
Expect Increased Virginia Police Enforcement Over Labor Day Weekend
Last Labor Day marked the 18th annual Checkpoint Strikeforce campaign aimed at combating alcohol-impaired traffic fatalities in Virginia. During this month, drivers can expect to see more state troopers conducting stationary and roving patrols, with law enforcement working through the holiday at crash awareness and reduction efforts.
In Richmond alone, 21 agencies operated 34 checkpoints with 146 saturated patrols last year. Statewide, 98 agencies (including Virginia State Police) participated in the campaign, conducting 120 checkpoints and 640 saturated patrols over the course of the month. This year is expected to be no different.
Rutter Mills Helps DUI Accident Victims and Their Families Pursue Justice
If you or a loved one have been adversely affected by a collision with a drunk driver in Virginia, contact Rutter Mills for expert representation. You may be eligible to receive compensation for medical expenses, lost past and future wages, as well as damages for pain and suffering.
Our drunk driving accident lawyers offer free consultations and contingency-based services, so you never pay upfront retainers. In fact, you owe us nothing unless we recover money on your behalf, so there is nothing to lose in the pursuit of justice.