Super Bowl Sunday ranks as one of the most dangerous times of the year for drunk driving-related accidents. While partaking in the festivities and watching the game can be a fun event, it is important to be mindful of alcohol consumption and designate a safe way to get home. Many alcohol-related accidents occur on Super Bowl Sunday – and too many of these accidents are fatal. So this year, follow a few of these tips below to help you have fun while being safe and responsible:
- Pace your alcohol consumption – Football games usually last around 4 hours. While this may seem like a long time, in actuality it is not. Consuming more than two beers per hour jumps your BAC up quickly, impairing your motor skills.
- Designate a driver – If you plan on consuming alcohol, ask a friend or family member who will not be consuming alcohol to drive you home. Make sure to give your keys to this driver before you start drinking. If you do not have a designated driver, call a cab. If you plan to watch the game at a bar or restaurant, ask your server or bartender to either call you a cab, or you can access a local cab company number on your smartphone.
- Don’t let friends or family members drive drunk – If you notice a friend or family member is intoxicated, do not let them drive home. Keep an eye on them and make plans accordingly to get them home safely or have them stay where they are.
- Eat food and drink plenty of fluids – It is important to eat food and drink plenty of water before, during, and after consuming alcohol. While this will not sober someone up, it will work to minimize the effects of alcohol over time.
- If you are driving and not consuming alcohol, be weary of other individuals on the road while heading home. Watch for swerving and other signs of an intoxicated driver. If you notice another driver exhibiting these signs, avoid them and call the police to report them immediately.
We hope you enjoy Super Bowl Sunday festivities and stay safe. If you or a loved one is seriously injured in an auto accident, contact the personal injury lawyers at Rutter Mills today. We have the experience and strength to win disputes with the insurance companies to help you get the compensation you deserve. Let us protect your rights – call or text Rutter Mills at 757-622-5000.