As we have seen over the last few days, the weather can change drastically from day to day. Winter is right around the corner, and with the changing of the seasons come very different road conditions. Winter weather can create a big challenge for drivers. Before the season changes, take some time to prepare for the changing conditions and stay safe on the roadways. Below are a few safe driving tips for the winter season:
– Always be alert to icy road conditions including snow, ice, slush, or black ice when the temperatures near freezing. These conditions drastically impact braking distance and reaction time.
– Due to road conditions that come along with cold weather, you should decrease your speed and always leave plenty of room to brake
– When you brake, do so gently to avoid skidding or hydroplaning
– Avoid using cruise control on icy roads
– Remember that bridges freeze sooner than roads, and use extra caution
Using extra caution this winter can help you and your family avoid an auto accident. As auto accident lawyers in Hampton Roads and Roanoke, VA we see the devastating effects of auto accidents every day. Please be safe on the roads this winter. As much as you can try to protect yourself, there is sometimes nothing that you can do to deter another reckless driver from hitting and injuring you and your family. If you suffer injuries as a result of someone else’s negligence, call the personal care attorneys of Rutter Mills today for a free, no obligation consultation of your legal rights.