Rutter Mills wishes you a fun and safe 4th of July weekend! Please be mindful of hazards if you decide to handle fireworks or grill this weekend. Keep Independence day fun and safe!
Many fireworks are illegal in Virginia – in fact, some areas of Virginia require a permit to ignite them. State law reads that any firework that explodes, rises in the air, or shoots a projectile are not permitted. If fireworks are permitted in your area, please follow these safety tips.
- Store the fireworks safely.
- Follow the basic instructions included.
- Keep a safe distance from fireworks.
- Never allow small children to handle fireworks.
- Have a bucket of water nearby incase of emergency.
- Be in a safe environment when lighting fireworks, such as a field or parking lot.
- Never relight ‘duds’. Wait at least 15 minutes before disposing.
- Dispose of all fireworks properly. Soak them in water before heading to the trash can.
Many of us will be in the backyard grilling with friends and family. Be aware that both gas and charcoal grills can be hazardous. Please take these safety tips into consideration before grilling.
- Use long-handled utensils.
- Be careful if using lighter fluid. Only use fluid once, and do not use to an already lit fire.
- Make sure your grill is at least 10 feet from your home.
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Be mindful of the grill at all times. Never leave the grill unattended.
- After grilling, make sure to turn all burners and the propane tank.
- Consider using a grill pad or splatter mat.
We hope that you all enjoy this holiday weekend, but please remain safe out there. The roadways will be more crowded than usual, and there will most likely be an elevated number of intoxicated drivers out there. Please don’t drink and drive, and do your best to remain aware of the others on the roadways that may not be as safe. If you or a loved one are hurt due to a drunk driver, or the negligence of someone else, please contact the auto accident attorneys of Rutter Mills for a free, no obligation consultation of your legal rights. Have a great and safe holiday weekend!