Motorcycle safety is an important issue, which is why each year May is recognized as National Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. At the beginning of this month, we wanted to point out a few statistics.
National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration Stats
– In 2009 there were 4,595 fatal motorcycle crashes in the United States. Additionally, 84,000 were injured.
– The use of Department of Transportation approved motorcycles decreased to 54% in 2010 – a 13% drop from 2009.
– DOT approved motorcycle helmets are estimated to be 37% effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcyclists.
– Helmet use save the lives of 1500 motorcyclists in 2009 according to the NHTSA.
– More than one-third of fatal bike crashes in 2009 involved alcohol.
At our law firm, we have seen the tragic effects of motorcycle accidents time and time again. While you can never completely eliminate your risk on a motorcycle, you can greatly reduce your risk by practicing motorcycle safety and being aware on the roadways. If you or someone you know is injured in a motorcycle accident, be sure to contact the Personal Injury Lawyers of Rutter Mills.